Sunday 11 January 2009

Review - Skreintax - Scene Stealers / Last Days

Skreintax - Scene Stealers / Last Days

View The Review

8 out of 10

I have to admit, I don't know THAT much about hip hop. I listen to a fair bit of bigger US stuff - Talib Kweli, Atmosphere, MF Doom, Dälek, that kind of thing - but I'm pretty much oblivious to the UK scene, so it's always a nice diversion from my more usual punk rock diet when something like this comes along, and it always makes me think I should pay more attention to what's happening on my doorstep.

If this is anything to go by then I REALLY ought to pay more attention. I remember a time when UK hip hop was a poor relation to its US cousin, but I really think those days have gone. It's great to hear MCs rapping in what sounds like their own voices - the only thing more annoying than faux American accents is over the top regional accents, and fortunately there's none of that on show here. On Scene Stealers, Dag Nabbit brings a laid back west coast almost G-Funk groove to the mix, nicely complimented by DJ IQ's turntable skills, whilst on Last Days there's a darker, more intense style, with clear influences from dubstep.

Personally I prefer the rhymes and flow of Dr Syntax, but it's a close thing to be honest and the two compliment each other well. Also I'm not really impressed by radio and dirty mixes, so you only really get two songs on the disc. But a minor detail.

Listen: www.myspace.com/skreintax

Tracklist:
1. Scene Stealers ft DJ IQ (Radio Friendly)
2. Last Days ft Plan B (Radio Friendly)
3. Stealers ft DJ IQ (DIRTY)
4. Last Days ft Plan B (DIRTY)

No comments: