Sunday 25 January 2009

Review - Pendulum - Showdown (Single)

Pendulum - Showdown (Single)

View The Review

7 out of 10

Does drum'n'bass have an equivalent to the hip-hop 'dis track'? I'd assume they don't, since there doesn't seem to be the same sense of animosity between the artists involved, but nonetheless, Pendulum have taken the idea and run with it. I think it's fairly well documented that there are (small but vocal) contingents of both the rock & DnB worlds who have taken exception to Pendulum's crossover success (but then what band doesn't have their internet detractors), and this seems to be their response.

So after setting the scene with the opening verse, which includes the fairly unsubtle line "I know you thought I'd sold my soul, but you never told me to my face", the Aussies basically reach into their bag of tricks, and throw break after effect after riff onto a fairly standard DnB beat, in an attempt to show they haven't sold out, but are basically just better than you. (Incidentally 'Bag of Tricks' would have been a more apt title, but I suppose that's not angry enough). There's a nice half-speed section around the two-minute mark, but it dries up after that and just coasts for the last minute or so. However, it temporarily reminded me of Pitchshifter, and I liked them, so I still reckon it's not a bad tune overall.

Listen: www.myspace.com/officialpendulum

Tracklist:
1. Showdown

No comments: