Sunday 25 January 2009

Review - Fake Problems - The Dream Team Rumble in the Jungle (Single)

Fake Problems - The Dream Team Rumble in the Jungle (Single)

View The Review

8 out of 10

I've known of and listened to Fake Problems for a while now. I have the last album (How Far Our Bodies Go) in the car, and I saw them play live at the back end of next year, when they blew (an admittedly rather dull) Smoke or Fire off the stage. Still though, they never quite clicked - they took inspiration from bands like Against Me and Defiance Ohio, but they didn't >quite seem to have found their own voice yet. I had a horrible feeling this new single might be a step backwards, although I had no idea why. I shouldn't have worried.

This is a far more mature, powerful sounding Fake Problems than the one of old. The beefed up, more professional production actually suits the band, and compliments the direction they've moved in - the Bob Dylan and Woodie Guthrie folk influences remain, but this is a much rockier sound, with more than a hint of The Hold Steady and Bruce Springsteen.

I REALLY want to hear the album now!

Listen: www.myspace.com/fakeproblems

Tracklist:
1. The Dream Team

No comments: