Sunday 2 November 2008

Review - Broken Records - Lies (Single)

Broken Records - Lies (Single)

View The Review

6 out of 10

I'm a bit polarized on bands that get referred to as indie folk, folk punk, that kind of thing. Mainly because I'm polarised on folk music itself. On the one hand you've got folk music (nods head and smiles) which could include artists like Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, even Johnny Cash. On the other hand you've got folk music (shakes head and scowls) so beloved of dirty dreadlocked weirdoes dancing in the mud, and fucking Morris dancing.

Fortunately, although Broken Records do employ some traditional instruments (I can hear a fiddle and possibly an accordion, I think) their sound is much closer to the kind of music that doesn't make me want to hurt myself, and others. It also owes a lot to contemporary indie acts and even has a hint of the Killers.

Listen: www.myspace.com/brokenrecordsedinburgh

Tracklist:
1. Lies
2. Travelling Songs

No comments: