Sunday 23 November 2008

Review - The Beat Poets - Staring Stars Down (Single)

The Beat Poets - Staring Stars Down (Single)

View The Review

5 out of 10

It seems rare these days that I come across a band which who can make me jump out of my seat and say "this is like nothing I've ever heard before!"

Unfortunately I can't claim to have had such a "Eureka!" moment with The Beat Poets.

Staring Stars Down only really served to remind me that it's been a while since I've listened to Appetite for Destruction by Guns n Roses. It's a pretty inoffensive and formulaic pop-rock song, reliant on a few catchy hooks and gratuitous use of FX pedals to keep your ears engaged.

It thuds along nicely enough to keep you from hitting the stop button but then only really leads you to a pretty amateur sounding and disappointingly abrupt ending.

B-side, G.I. has more of an impact but still lacks a certain face melting quality that you long for after being treated to a glimpse of it in the riotous chorus, even if it does seem to leap out from the dusty archives of a tried and tested library of predictable rock-riffs.

In saying that, with the amps turned up to a rib shattering level, I'd imagine that both tracks would be definite crowd pleasers when played live and played loud.

Listen www.myspace.com/beatpoets

Tracklist:
1. Staring Stars Down
2. G.I.

No comments: