Saturday 21 March 2009

Review - Joe Coffee - When The Fabric Don't Fit The Frame

Joe Coffee - When The Fabric Don't Fit The Frame

View The Review

4 out of 10

I put this review off for quite a long time.

I listened to Joe Coffee's new album scanning the press release - band shot with the frontman; big bruiser.."hardcore scene".."thug-pop"."fat, sweaty hooligans". The music on the CD sounded like a pub band playing punked-up indie cover versions in the back room of a seaside pub. The kind of establishment that looks more like a house than a pub, the ones you stay well clear of.

I'm now thinking that I can't offer much constructive criticism and that I should keep listening for some glimmer of hope and pull the review out the bag without getting on the wrong side of the pitbull with the microphone - but the result of my notepad is:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones without the Ska - apart from "Baby's Comin' Home Today" - horns? Check
Ian Curtis impersonator
Jam covers

Below there was a comment from someone in the room at the time:

"Can we turn this off? It's rubbish"

This came from my housemate who only likes 2 Live Crew and Neds Atomic Dustbin.I value his opinion over most, as any man who chooses to like only two bands (the aforementioned two, especially); knows what he likes and likes what he knows.. and he echoed my thoughts at the time - "Can I turn this off? It's rubbish"

Now I started to panic.

Images flashed through my head at night for the next few days of frontman Paul Bearer tracking me down and forcing a broken bottle into my face for calling his band "rubbish" in a review.

So as I said, I've been putting this review off.

I had a look for more information to give the guys a chance, thought I could find a redeeming feature that I could cling to for at least a positive introduction. The singer was in Sheer Terror; part of the Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front hardcore scene; the kind of people that could see that a reviewer disappears in mosh pit.

Ok, so it's at this point I realise Paul Bearer lives in New York and not Morecambe. I can say what I really think about Joe Coffee without fear of a kicking:

"Buy some Sheer Terror instead. This really is bad."

Listen: www.myspace.com/joecoffeenyc

Tracklist:
1. Don't Sweat It, Steal It
2. Dear 'Detta
3. Don't Call Her A "Bitch"
4. Get Yourself Together
5. You Gonna Make Me Bad
6. The Good Life (I've Seen It)
7. Second String To Your Second Best
8. Shoot the Moon (And All Who Live There)
9. Baby's Comin' Home Today
10. I Don't Want This No More
11. Done And Done

1 comment:

sluggoslade said...

you're a bitch.