Monday 30 March 2009

Review - Katlow - Gorgeous / 57 Manchester Road (Single)

Katlow - Gorgeous / 57 Manchester Road (Single)

View The Review

7 out of 10

I tried, I really did, but I honestly can’t shake of the obvious comparison that Katlow is likely to draw. Although I don’t consider it to have negative connotations but my first thought was an instant similarity to Kate Nash.

Maybe it’s the fact that she’s a young girl with a slight twang in her vocal, maybe it's because she’s singing about everyday life which in my opinion is a market currently being over saturated. But maybe there’s room for one more and if I’m hard pressed, I haven’t came across another that warrants it as much as Katlow.

So the basics, strong vocals, catchy melodies, well structured and paced songs, all pretty standard affair. The lyrics are very much in waves, often having great touches of observational and social comments with the odd well laid out metaphor at its peak, and blatant telegraphed and uninspired lines at its depth, although fortunately for Katlow there is far more of the high points.

Personally I wasn’t too overwhelmed with the CD until I reached the last track, my attention was truly caught by the change in time signature and great use of harmonies, this is a song that appears upbeat and positive but once you truly embrace the lyrics you decipher that there are very dark distinctions to the content, a feature I always admire in a song and basically adds that touch of depth.

Katlow ticks all the boxes and there is no doubt the potential is there, I’m sure once she reaches her peak her potential will be endless, she’s just not quite there yet.

Listen: www.myspace.com/katlowmusic

Tracklist:
1. Gorgeous
2. 57 Manchester Road
3. Untitled B side
4. Untitled B side

No comments: