Tuesday 9 December 2008

Review - Tracy Chapman - Sing For You (Single)

Tracy Chapman - Sing For You (Single)

View The Review

5 out of 10

This unlikely new single (or one-track album sampler) is a gentle lo-octane folk-jazz shuffle featuring some sweet higher-pitched vocals from Tracy, and a wordless 'dood 'n' doot-doo' chorus that scans like a simple lullaby melody sung to a tired toddler. It's a perfectly lovely song but doesn't exactly render you breathless. Also, it somehow reminds me of a folky take on Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' as it seems to share the same underlying chord sequence. Whitney it ain't though, thank God. Hearing this, and having heard no Tracy Chapman albums other than her fine 20-year old debut, I'll have to assume the music she's made since has been reliably efficient and inoffensive, like this track. I wouldn't say no to seeing Tracy live but this taster doesn't have me desperately hankering for a quiet night in with her new album, 'Our Bright Future', although I wouldn't be offended if something as unequivocally nice as this was put on during a night in round at someone else's. They'd be pretty sappy people I'd be hanging around with, though.

Listen: www.myspace.com/tracychapman

Tracklist:
1. Sing For You

No comments: