Tuesday 28 July 2009

Review - Eels - Hombre Lobo-12 Songs of Desire

Eels - Hombre Lobo-12 Songs of Desire

View The Review

5 out of 10

I put my hands up! I'm sorry, I don't get Eels. I've heard the singles, dipped into the more well-known albums, but I've always thought of Mr "E" as Beck without the funk, charisma or in this new album's case - ideas. Is he troubled?

I'm sure Eels fans will think this is a "fabulous return to form", questioning how Mark Oliver Everett "manages to push the envelope so far". Not me. "Hombre Loco" isn't bad in the sense that gravel isn't bad, but I have had to push myself to give it several repeat listens and I after a seventeen year career of E's work - I seemed to have not missed a thing.

So Eel's fans, buy this and remain trapped in your beige box of mediocrity listening to all three Shrek soundtrack's that he's appeared on - anyone that likes to be challenged when listening to music, please avoid. 5 out of 10 resembles my indifference for this album, Eels and Mr E. In fact, I pity the fool...

Listen: www.myspace.com/eels

Tracklist:
1. Prizefighter
2. That You Look You Give That Guy
3. Lilac Breeze
4. In My Dreams
5. Tremendous Dynamite
6. The Longing
7. Fresh Blood
8. What's a Little Fella To Do
9. My Timing Is Off
10. All The Beautiful Things
11. Beginners Luck
12. Ordinary Man

No comments: