Sunday 26 October 2008

Review - Patchwork Grace - Milk Teeth

Patchwork Grace - Milk Teeth

View The Review

7 out of 10

The artwork is excellent on this album and I was also enjoying the big hair from the band members in the sleevenotes, so when I started to listen to the album, I was blown away by the first track, I thought it was going to be like 'The Clash's' debut album with short and fast pop punk rock tunes. Then the first track carried on for a minute and a half too long.

After the first 3 tracks which had started to merge into one, the band then tried to cover a classic 80's tune The Cure's 'Lovecats', now I haven't got anything against a band covering a big tune to try and get their sound heard by a bigger market, but only if the artist(s) tries to play around with the track and put a different sound / stance on it. Unfortunately for me, all Patchwork Grace had done is to play the tune note for note but with the volume turned up.

The album then carried on using feedback and heavy guitars and drums to create a growing and attractive sound, the vocals have a great range including fantastic screeching when it was required.

The track names on this album are brilliant - 'Choc Milk and Cocaine', 'Pink Aniseed' & 'Kharrrarrah' among other great titles.

I'm sure this Midlands band would lay on a very entertaining live show, and I for one would like to see them play this album to a crowd, but maybe give the cover a miss.

The first track 'Lovely' sums up the whole album, a good listen and an album I would go back to, to allow the tunes to grow on me even more. Nikki Sixx would be proud!

Listen: www.myspace.com/pwg

Tracklist:
1. Lovely
2. Soap
3. Zebra
4. Lovecats
5. Kharrrarrah
6. Shminonio
7. Little Me
8. Nancy
9. Estella
10. Meister Clinic
11. Choc Milk & Cocaine
12. Pink Aniseed
13. Doctors Note

No comments: