Friday 25 July 2008

Review - Nephu Huzzband - Nurse! Nurse! (Single)

Nephu Huzzband - Nurse! Nurse! (Single)

View The Review

7 out of 10

For a band who has been showered in high praise from the likes of George Lamb and The NME, you'd have thought that title track Nurse! Nurse! could have been a bit longer than 1 minute 27sec. Just as I was getting into it and drumming my hands on my steering wheel this afternoon, so the song ended. At first I thought my rubbish car stereo was skipping again, but alas, no. The reverse of the single case told me that my stereo wasn't playing up again, and I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed. From those wonderful 90 seconds, I could tell that these chaps had a lot more to offer, and so I was expecting more from second track "Lions, Tigers & Bears". The truth is, I expected a little too much, I think. It differs fairly greatly from the magic of its predecessor - it's more progressive and pulls elements from the likes of Fugazi and .Trail of Dead, which would normally be a good thing, but in this case, it's a bit too dreary and the up-beat syncopation that was evident 2 minutes before hand is all but lost. So imagine my delight when the edit of Nurse! Nurse! appeared at the end to surprise me. The extended edit is fantastic - it's simply more of the great sound that the original provided. There are great climbing bass-lines, syncopated riffs galore and the yells and tight drumming that you wouldn't be surprised to find on a track from the likes of Dartz! or Foals.

So two out of three tracks isn't too bad. It's just a shame that it's a mere extension of the snippet of greatness that I was graced with to begin with. If Nephu Huzzband can continue making great tracks such as Nurse! Nurse! Then I'm sure this won't be the last I hear of them.

Listen: www.myspace.com/nephuhuzzband

Tracklist:
1. Nurse! Nurse!
2. Lions, Tigers & Bears
3. Nurse! Nurse! (Morphine 100ml Edit)

No comments: