Sunday 1 June 2008

Review - Naomi Hates Humans - Pipe Dreams And Lullabies

Naomi Hates Humans - Pipe Dreams And Lullabies

View The Review

1 out of 10

This album came winging its way to me in the most beautifully packaged little parcel - a little box, with stickers, a button badge and the album cover is hand-illustrated, and so I must say I was mighty impressed with the effort to try and impress an unknown reviewer. However, my positive outlook was dashed from the minute I popped the CD into my stereo. The opening track, "Consensus Counts for Nothing" is terrifying. The vocals are brash and not even remotely tuneful, and the guitars are gloomy and there's no melody - it really is just noise. And it doesn't get any better as the albums goes on. "Chin Up, Guard Down" could have potential if there were no vocals, but regrettably the same harsh, brazen "noise" strikes again. I'll be honest and tell you that I didn't get past track seven of this eleven-track album, purely because seven tracks were more than enough. The only reason I got as far as this was because of the song title - "Death to Kaplinsky", which whilst being pretty funny in itself bought nothing more than misery to my ears. All seven tracks have the same awful vocals that dominate every "song" to the degree that I can barely make out if the supporting instruments are even trying to carry a tune. I think I need to go and think some happy thoughts. Listen: www.myspace.com/naomihateshumans

Tracklist:
1. Consensus Counts For Nothing 2. Better Things 3. Chin Up Guard Down 4. Drunk Dickhead Strikes Again 5. This is Not A Lovesong 6. Heads Down 7. Death To Kaplinksy 8. My Grandmother's Hands 9. Small Town Kids 10. Time To Go Home 11. Pipe Dreams And Lullabies

No comments: