Sunday 3 May 2009

Review - Filter - The Very Best Things (1995 - 2008)

Filter - The Very Best Things (1995 - 2008)

View The Review

6 out of 10

When I saw this greatest hits collection I was bemused, mainly because I couldn't think of more than 3 songs at a push. I remember seeing Filter as the support act to Smashing Pumpkins on the Mellon Collie tour and at the tender age of 15 the bass drum nearly made my ribcage collapse. I also know that the main man of the operation; Richard Patrick, is the brother of the T1000 in Terminator 2. These are the things I think of when the name Filter comes up..not the songs.

The one song I do remember is "Take A Picture" - the soppy hit - probably used in every romantic comedy that summer.

That was then. I stopped talking with Filter in the year 2000 - I imagine most people in the UK did as well. So listening to this collection is a huge trip down memory lane for me.oh yeah, the song off the Spawn soundtrack; "(Can't You) Trip Like You Do", the song off Cable Guy; "Hey Man Nice Shot". The rest? It's alright. Their cover of Three Dog Night's "One (is the Loneliest Number)" is so far from the original that I forget what the original sounds like and just think I am listening to Filter again. Nice try.no cigar.

"Where Do You Go From Here" and "The Only Way (Is the Wrong Way)" revisited nearly 8 years later, I come to the realisation that these guys must be huge in America. Could have been huge over here had they been targeted to a more mainstream audience.

To prove to myself that I'm still hip with the kids (I know what Screamo Crunk is!), I looked on their wikipedia page - they played for the U.S. Army in Kuwait as part of Operation:Myspace (I shit you not!) along with Jessica Simpson, Disturbed and The Pussycat Dolls. They played with an ex-member who is now a Sergeant and rocked out the armed audience with their hit "Hey Man Nice Shot"..nice.

So I am wondering who is going to rush to the shops to buy a greatest hits collection from a band that probably won't register to anyone that wasn't between the ages of 15-18 around the early 00's. It's not even Greatest Hits season.

Filter are OK, but more of a reminiscence of songs you've forgotten about, that are.OK. One of those "play once and file" albums.

I also see that they have been touring as support for Papa Roach - gentlemen, your time is up. Thanks for the music.

Listen: www.myspace.com/filter1

Tracklist:
1. Hey Man Nice Shot
2. Welcome to the Fold (Radio Edit)
3. Jurrasitol
4. (Can't You) Trip Like I Do
5. Take a Picture
6. Soldiers of Misfortune
7. Where Do We Go From Here
8. Dose
9. I'm Not the Only One
10. Skinny
11. One (Is the Loneliest Number)
12. The Best Things
13. The Only Way (Is the Wrong Way)
14. Thanks Bro

No comments: