Sunday 31 May 2009

Review - Gary Go - Gary Go

Gary Go - Gary Go

View The Review

9 out of 10

I had heard of Gary Go at the start of 2009, as he was one of the artists to watch for the year. Then I found out he was supporting Take That on their sell out summer tour. I heard the fantastic catchy single 'Wonderful' and also loved the video.

I was looking forward to hearing more from Gary, and then the album turned up. I wasn't disappointed.

New single 'Open Arms' is the first track on the album, and it really pulls you into his songwriting style. Every song seemed to hit a high note with me and the next thing I found was I was playing the whole album for a second time, then a third time. I can see this laid back longplayer being a regular on my generic MP3 player this summer.

The whole album is pop at its best; the songs are epic and addictive. Standout tracks are 'Life Gets In The Way', 'Refuse To Lose' and 'Speak'. The guitar playing on the album is excellent and with the piano blending in, the whole album soars to great heights from energetic songs to big ballads. Gary is only 24, yet his songs feel like they are from someone older and have more worldly knowledge.

I am lucky enough to be going to see Take That at their tour opening concert in Sunderland, so am over the moon that I will be seeing Gary Go perform live. If he is as good live as he is on CD, then I won't be disappointed.

A real summer album, one that I can hear being played whilst all the barbeques are firing up over the UK.

Listen: www.myspace.com/garygo

Tracklist:
1. Open Arms
2. So So
3. Engines
4. Wonderful
5. Life Gets In The Way
6. Brooklyn
7. Refuse To Lose
8. Honest
9. Heart And Soul
10. Speak
11. Black And White Days

No comments: