View The Review
7 out of 10
Film soundtracks are curious things, a collection of songs linked only by the fact they feature in the same movie, it’s often hard to see who they are aimed at. The soundtrack to the forthcoming Jennifer's Body (out September 18th starring Megan Fox) is released on Fueled by Ramen and the core of this compilation is made up of bands burdened by the emo tag with new material to promote (Cobra Starship, Dashboard Confessional etc) augmented by such disparate acts as Little Boots and The Sword.
The album does have a few unique selling points. Fans of Paramore will be interested to hear Hayley Williams’ ’Teenagers’, but may be perplexed by the folksy sound that couldn’t be further from her day job. ’New Perspective’, is the first outing of the re-exclaimed Panic! At The Disco, though on this evidence, this is the only thing that has changed, with the chorus seemingly lifted straight from ’Pretty. Odd’. ’Toxic Valentine’ is a decent introduction to the soon to be huge All Time Low, showcasing their slick pop-punk well. The future of Cute Is What We Aim For is up in the air, and if ’Time’ is to be their last outing then it will be an inaccurate portrayal of their danceable pop-punk, instead it’s a slow burning ballad which explodes into life a little too late.
The likes of Florence & The Machine and Little Boots will be familiar to most, but fans of theirs will be introduced to the likes of Black Kids (with their excellent and brilliantly titled 'I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You') and Lissy Trullie who share their penchant for catchy, dancy indie music. Screeching Weasel’s punked up cover of ’I Can See Clearly’ is a lot of fun, but sticks out like a sore thumb, but not as much as the effort by The Sword.
This is a genuinely intriguing compilation but in the age of YouTube and MySpace streaming it’s hard to see anyone but the most dedicated and impatient fans of those acts with new material buying this, and even then it’s likely to be through iTunes.
1. Florence + The Machine - Kiss With A Fist
2. Panic! At The Disco - New Perspective
3. Hayley Williams - Teenagers
4. Little Boots - New In Town
5. Dashboard Confessional - Finishing School
6. Low Shoulder - Through The Trees
7. Cute Is What We Aim For - Time
8. Screeching Weasel - I Can See Clearly Now
9. Cobra Starship - Chew Me Up & Spit Me Out
10. All Time Low - Toxic Valentine
11. Black Kids - I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You
12. White Lies - Death
13. The Sword - Celestial Crown
14. Silversun Pickups - Little Lover’s So Polite
15. Lissy Trullie - Ready For The Floor