Monday 28 September 2009

Review - Falcongate - Disappear Here

Falcongate - Disappear Here

View The Review

7 out of 10

Breaking with my usual review format, I'm going to have my moan first, rather than later. The vocals on the last track of this album are autotuned. Why? Why subject me to that god-awful, electronic, Cher-warble? It shits all over an otherwise decent pop-punk tune that your Fall Out Boys and All Time Lows would give their back teeth for. And it's not even subtle; the notes are all over the place, so I can only assume it's meant to be a joke. But, since it's just one track, tacked on to the end of an album, it's a piss poor joke, so just leave it to the guys who do the internet news thing next time. Or Kanye.

So, now I've got that out of my system- yeah, aside from that one track, I can't really complain. Most of the tunes reside at the pop-punk end of the spectrum - 'When You Leave' even has a bit of a New Found Glory nasal delivery, but it does occasionally veer into more hardcore/streetpunk territory, mostly through the backing vocals of Andris and new addition Sosa. 'Eyes like Bullets' could be Anti-Flag if it was more politically minded, and the breakdown opening and screams on the choruses of 'Dig Out My Grave' made me think of A Wilhelm Scream.

It's not so bad, but whether they can get the coverage they deserve in such an over-saturated genre is unfortunately debatable. Good luck though.

Listen: www.myspace.com/falcongate

Tracklist:
1. Where's The Beat
2. The Pledge And The Turn
3. The Worst Time For Me To Speak
4. Eyes Like Bullets
5. Jump The Border
6. Die For Roosevelt
7. Alone Tonight
8. Dig Out My Grave
9. Fanatics And Saints
10. When You Leave
11. Credits

No comments: