Sunday 19 April 2009

Review - Morrissey - Something Is Squeezing My Skull (Single)

Morrissey - Something Is Squeezing My Skull (Single)

View The Review

8 out of 10

OK so I'm not the biggest Morrissey/Smiths fan in the world, but 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' is certainly not what I was expecting. After the last single 'Throwing My Arms Around Paris' was more along the lines of what I'd expect this song has floored me. Don't get me wrong it's not death metal, but some of the drumming wouldn't go amiss in that style, and the lyrical content is what you'd expect. But the music is so much rockier than I'd ever given Mozza credit for, seriously from the outset this is a real belter. I think it's about drugs, though I could be wrong, but the extensive list he reels off has to give it away.

The rock stylings are nicely complimented by the orchestra and it's short and punchy enough to line up alongside any pop song today. The B-sides you can get with this are all lives tracks from a radio 2 special recorded in February.

Listen: www.myspace.com/morrissey

Tracklist:
1. Something Is Squeezing My Skull

No comments: