Sunday 19 April 2009

Review - Fightstar - Mercury Summer (Single)

Fightstar - Mercury Summer (Single)

View The Review

6 out of 10

"It sounds like 90's Britpop. And Bryan Adams" Not my words, but those of my wife, and since she has ears, she's just as qualified to offer an opinion on music as I am, so I suppose it's as good a place as any to start with this critique (though I was sorely tempted to just leave the review at that one sentence).

The Britpop connection comes in the chorus, which due to the staccato drums, placed high in the mix and punctuating each line, reminded us of the Boo Radleys' eponymous hit 'Wake Up Boo'. Aside from that, the tune is pretty insistent, made-for-radio mainstream rock, with the occasional nod to Biffy Clyro and emo/post-hardcore (as with most of their previous output, if memory serves).

The connection with the Canuck dad-rocker is a bit more baffling though. There is a slight vocal similarity, but that's just standard 'gruff rockstar voice', so hardly anything to worry about. After contemplation though, the song does start to give me the same sort of vibe as The Ataris' 'Summer of '69' cover. Oh wait, that was 'Boys Of Summer' wasn't it? Well, (after a quick YouTube refresher) I'll stand by my comparison, but I don't have a clue what she was talking about though.

Listen: www.myspace.com/fightstarmusic

Tracklist:
1. Mercury Summer

No comments: