Monday 3 May 2010

Review - k-os - I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman (Single)

k-os - I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman (Single)

View The Review

8 out of 10

You can tell summer's nearly here: the sun's showing his face more, festival line ups are starting to trickle out, hay fever's starting to really piss my sinuses off and I've just heard the song that should be the soundtrack to your summer. Before now, I'd only heard of k-os from his verse on Windsurfing Nation on Broken Social Scene's self-titled album. Frankly, that's a crime. He's a genius.

I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman is a slice of fried gold. Taking a sample from the craptacular 'California' by Phantom Planet, k-os focuses on the only line from that song that sounds even vaguely gangsta and builds from there. Mellow summery vibes that shine through from the sample and the sheer "did he just say that?" wordplay saves this single from melancholy and injects optimism that leaves you wishing summer was already in full effect.

Listen: www.myspace.com/kos

Tracklist:
1. I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman

No comments: