Tuesday 25 May 2010

Review - Ventura - We Recruit

Ventura - We Recruit

View The Review

4 out of 10

Swiss Indie-Rock, anyone? It didn't immediately put an image in my head, I must say. Which is probably a good thing, as I should be able to judge this collection of solid, reliable, somewhat dull, punkoid stomp without any prejudice as to nationality. There are touches of Shellac and other usual noisy touchstones (Sonic Youth, Helmet, The Pixies etc, etc.) but nothing leapt out of the speakers and attempted bloody murder on my ears, or mind. In fact, sometimes (I Quite Like It Here, for example) the riffage gets a bit - dare I say it - Stoner. I think it's the low-key vocals that really beige things over, though. No wonder they teamed up with David Yow for a single, recently. That was rather good.

Listen: www.myspace.com/vntr

Tracklist:
1. Brace For Impact
2. With Ifs
3. Twenty-Four Thousand People
4. I Always Said He Was Weird
5. Will Kill For Love
6. I Quite Like It Here
7. All The Reasons Not To
8. Why Are You Not A Coin
9. Demons

No comments: