Monday 3 May 2010

Review - Jaguar Love - Hologram Jams

Jaguar Love - Hologram Jams

View The Review

2 out of 10

Ex-Blood Brothers with Matador releases & tours with QOTSA & TV on the Radio, members of Spoon playing for them on tour. I have to say I was super excited to get to listen to this record. I was expecting some super sassy rockin’ disco. Maybe something to make me feel better about Death From Above 1979 splitting up.

Yeah, that’s not what we have here. That’s not what we have at all. I think this might be one of the most irritating things I’ve ever heard. I can imagine people shopping for fake retro band T-shirts of bands they don’t own any music by in Urban Outfitters listening to this on bijilllion pound fake retro headphones (Cause sound quality, is like, soooo important). It makes me think of the blog ’Look At That Fucking Hipster’ & how it’s probably what the subjects of said blog were listening to when they posed in their bath wearing head to toe American Apparel & maybe a horse mask.

I want to like it so much, but I just can’t. The vocals are whiney & grate to a point where they make my eyes hurt, the beats are not as endearing as chiptune, or as dirty & fun as homemade dubstep. There’s just nothing to party to. I could barely get through a whole song without wanting to explode with rage. It seems so deliberately dreadful it made angry in a way only self conscious attempts at cool can.

Somewhere in the back of my head a little voice is saying, but maybe it works better live. That voice is quickly silenced by the big green Hulk like rage coursing through my veins that I’ve even had to listen to this.

Listen: www.myspace.com/jaguarloveband

Tracklist:
1. I Started A Fire
2. Polaroids and Red Wine
3. Cherry Soda
4. Don’t Die Alone
5. Up All Night
6. Jaguar Warriors
7. Everything Is Awesome
8. Evaline
9. Sad Parade
10. A Prostitute An Angel
11. Freak Out

No comments: