Monday 23 November 2009

Review - Chipmunk - I Am

Chipmunk - I Am

View The Review

6 out of 10

The latest up and coming young R&B star Chipmunk released his debut album 'I Am' through Jive Records on the 12th of October 2009, and his latest single 'Oopsy Daisy' will be the third single to be released from 'I Am', along with the previously released tracks 'Chip Diddy Chip' and 'Diamond Rings'.

Chipmunk has rapidly established himself as the freshest new talent in hip-hop with his recent singles all being huge hits. His most recent single 'Oopsy Daisy' is about a relationship break up and the regrets and feelings from both the male and female sides of the issue. The song although hip-hop, is an easy to listen to track with a female vocalist playing the role of the lady in the story, with Chipmunk as himself. Previous to his current releases I heard Chipmunk feature on a few songs, including tracks with N-Dubz and DJ Ironik, and from what I heard I thought he would release a very strong album. Chipmunk is a versatile rapper with his ability and covers a variation of sounds, which would work well in many genres of music. He is talented; I just wish the album were a little grimier, hardcore hip-hop. I could see big things for Chipmunk earlier this year but was disappointed with his debut album 'I Am'. I can see others liking it, I was just expecting more grime big beats along with the big personality. I actually like Chipmunk and really wanted to like this album, it just wasn't for me. I reckon that 'I Am' will be a big album release, and it will do well, but it will appeal to more of the younger generation of hip-hop lovers.

A perfect example of what I would like to hear more of are the less commercial songs like 'Saviour', 'Man Dem (featuring Tinchy Stryder)' and 'Beast (featuring Loick Essien)'. The songs Chipmunk has not released from 'I Am' are a lot better than the ones that he has. 'Chip Diddy Chip' is about the best so far, with 'Oopsy Daisy' and 'Diamond Rings' being a little more light-hearted than gangster-rap. I would say that I like 50% of the album, the songs I have mentioned have well produced hardcore beats, and Chipmunk puts his stamp on them to give us the best of Chipmunk. Then again there are a couple of songs like 'Dear Family' and 'Lose My Life (featuring Tulisa of N-Dubz) which I just totally skip on the album, they just don't do it for me, it's a shame because N-Dubz's 'Defeat You' (featuring Chipmunk) is top quality British rap.

All in all 'I Am' is a decent debut album from Chipmunk, and I can only see him achieving even greater things in upcoming years. Plus he has already had a number one hit with 'Oopsy Daisy', although it's one of the tracks I am not too fond on, I can't slate it as it did get to number one! What do I know!?

Chipmunk has came up so fast this year, and has already put his mark on the music scene and I hope he continues on the same road to release some massive hits in the future.

Listen: www.myspace.com/chipmunkartist

Tracklist:
1. Saviour
2. Chip Diddy Chip
3. Oopsy Daisy
4. Man Dem (Featuring Tinchy Strider)
5. Diamond Rings (Featuring Emeli Sande)
6. Lose My Life (Featuring N Dubz)
7. I Am (Interval)
8. Dear Family
9. Beast (Featuring Loick Essien)
10. Look For Me (Featuring Talay Riley)
11. Role Model
12. Sometimes
13. Business (Featuring Young Spray)

No comments: