Sunday 14 June 2009

Review - Consider The Thief - Signs and Wonders

Consider The Thief - Signs and Wonders

View The Review

6 out of 10

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, please let the record show that I've never listened to Thrice. Therefore this will not be a lazy "sounds too much like 'Band X' review. Consider The Thief's debut full-length, "Signs and Wonders" is standing on its own merit here and will be judged accordingly.

That said, "Signs and Wonders" is a great sounding record for a self-released debut, thanks in part to Aaron Hellam at Castle Ultimate Studios in Oakland, CA. Singer/guitarist Dryw Owens' voice is pleasant enough, considering the band's screamo roots (Dance Gavin Dance) and the band does a great job of laying out the hooks and melodies. If you're looking for undemanding emo then look no further. If you require that the music you listen to challenges you, well, this isn't that kind of album. It's even-tempered, but not breaking barriers.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that for all intents and purposes, this is Christian rock. There's really no way around it. Just look at the track names. And the lyrics! Try ignoring them and that might work for a little while, but when words like "proselytise," "Lord" and "heaven" start popping up it's game over. Don't get me wrong, I'm Catholic, go to church on holidays and all that, but I don't like to take the hymns home with me. I go to church for religion; I listen to music for a whole other reason entirely.

Listen: www.myspace.com/considerthethief

Tracklist:
1. Signs and Wonders
2. Joshua
3. On High
4. Son of Hell
5. In Vitro
6. Miracles of Sand
7. Via Dolorosa
8. Until the Day Comes
9. No More Samaritans
10. Drink the Sea
11. Go Back
12. The Last Son
13. Jonette

No comments: