Thursday 3 September 2009

Review - Street Sweeper Social Club - 100 Little Curses (Single)

Street Sweeper Social Club - 100 Little Curses (Single)

View The Review

4 out of 10

Street Sweeper Social Club comprises Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine, 90's highly politicised agit-rap-rock group whose anti-war classic Killing In The Name has since been reduced to a rock night classic to which drunk students everywhere can parent bait by shouting "Fuck You I Won't Do What You Tell Me!" & Boots Riley, acclaimed lyricists, producer, community organiser and all round philanthropist.

So I have high hopes that this will be musically and lyrically fantastic. I pop this CD in the drive of my laptop & expect an insightful, well thought out representation of the state of America and in these troubled times all set to innovative and ass shaking riffs.

Ummmm, not exactly.

I think this is supposed to be a call for the common man to rise up against the rich and the pointless trappings of their wasteful lives, but it's more like Cyprus Hill's "Rock Superstar" (Hardly the sharpest tools in the hip hop toolbox).

The lyrics are so dumb at times as to be laughable & the only thing I can imagine them inciting is snickering giggles that someone so talented could think it's ok to release a song with such dire rhymes.

Here's a sample: "Till we make the revolution, I just hope your life sucks."

Really? "I hope your life sucks"? Even faux punk heiress botherers Good Charlotte suggested robbing the rich. It's hardly a call to arms, especially when back by reject Rage riffs so dull I could barely make it to the end of the track, let alone listen to both edits all the way through.

If this is truly an indication of the rest of the album I'm pretty disappointed. The only thing I can think of is that Morello has decided that instead of waiting for people to ignore the original lyrical intent of his songs and dumb them down into party refrains and has decided to just make music that starts off that way.

Inexcusably dull.

Listen: www.myspace.com/streetsweepersocialclub

Tracklist:
1. 100 Little Curses (Clean)
2. 100 Little Curses (Explicit)

No comments: