Sunday 29 March 2009

Review - Tom Williams and the Boat - Doing My Best EP

Tom Williams and the Boat - Doing My Best EP

View The Review

7 out of 10

I think I've been putting off listening to this 'cos I don't like the cover. I know they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover (although let's be honest, you pretty much can to a point) but it's hard not to. I mention this only because the music contained within far transcends the homemade "charm" of the artwork.

Enough of my complaining. The EP itself is actually really rather good. Kinda anti-folk (as I believe it's now called) with hints of Dylan and The Band and Frank Turner and even Teenage Fanclub and Mogwai in places, although Tom and his Boat hails from the opposite end of this sceptred isle - Kent, to be precise. There's also a nice poetry in the lyrics which elevates it above the average.

Listen: www.myspace.com/williamstommusic

Tracklist:
1. 24
2. Concentrate
3. Mary
4. Voicemail
5. Doing My Best
6. My Will

No comments: