Monday 17 November 2008

Review - Far - Pony (Single)

Far - Pony (Single)

View The Review

7 out of 10

Well this crept up on me by complete surprise. Far, reforming? New single? UK Tour? YES! This is exciting news in Oliver’s world. I have nothing but love for Far. As do so many people, and most of them never saw them or listened to them first time round. They made quite an impact over here with club tours alongside Deftones and Incubus back in the 90’s. They released 2 terrific albums and inspired nearly every band that has combined emotive, alternative rock and hardcore. Like all my favourite bands I missed them first time around, so don’t think I am looking down on anyone for not "being" there. I wasn’t either. But I did once harass a stranger in Liverpool because he had a Far hoodie that I pestered him to sell me. I didn’t get it.

Anyhow, so this is the new Far tune. A very cheeky cover of 90’s, R&B turkey Ginuwine’s hit "Pony". And it's not that surprising a choice if you know Far. They convert the main melody into a funky riff that drives Jonah’s emotive croon. It's still very much a straight cover, but played by a band and in a style completely different to the original. Which is why I believe this works so well as a Far tune.

Nothing compared to their back catalogue, but then it's not meant to be. It's a fun tune that just makes you smile and think how good Far really are.

Listen: www.myspace.com/far

Tracklist:
1. Pony

No comments: